Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Comparing strings in MDX

Hello gurus,

Is there an equivalent to the TSQL LIKE '%mystring%' function in MDX?

e.g. to filter a Product dimension to only those products containing 'IPOD' or whatever?

Thanks

Not in straight MDX, but it is possible to use stored procedure to do that. There is a open source project to build library of sprocs that few of us participate, and it has the implementation of Like function.

Check it out here:

http://www.codeplex.com/ASStoredProcedures/Wiki/View.aspx?title=StringFilters

HTH,

Mosha (http://www.mosha.com/msolap)

|||

Yes, there are VBA functions.

You can use InStr() as an equivalent of T-SQL like.

IMHO, using of self written stored procedure in this case is like using a cannon aganst sparrows.

|||

Mosha,

How nice to hear from you. I was at a talk by Chris Webb last Saturday and he was singing your praises. As I have been fumbling with MDX for the last couple of months I bought your Fast Track book this week because I feel I have been trying to run before I am fully clear on the basics.

The sprocs you mention look like a very useful extension to MDX, though I note that they are not recommended for a production environment at the moment. Vladimir's suggestion of using InStr seems to work fine in this case.

Thanks

|||Thanks for this Vladimir. That works just fine - I wasn't aware that these VBA functions were available.sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment